1.22.2007

we will justify anything

I came across this today - really just a humorous post for the most part, but it made me think a little bit. Apparently some tanker ship was damaged and ran aground on the beach in England spilling cargo - if you care about the details you can read the article. However, my interest was in some of these remarks:

Scavengers help themselves
Police patrolled Branscombe beach Monday trying -- with limited success -- to keep scavengers away from about 40 containers which had washed ashore.
"A couple of hundred people have been on the beach today, taking things away, and there were around the same number last night," said Constable Steve Spearitt.
"Around 15 BMW motorbikes were carried off the beach last night," he said.
Authorities warned that the scavengers were breaking the law.
"People should be able to be allowed to take what they like. It is clearing up the beach, and it is part of the beach culture," said one woman who carried away some carpet. She refused to give her name to reporters, but said she would report the find as the law requires.

Well at least the lady decided to comply, but seriously. Hey man some ship just had a bad day - let's make it worse for the owners by taking all their stuff. And we can even justify it by saying we're "clearing up the beach, and it is part of beach culture". What the heck is "beach culture"?!? Surf some waves and steal anything we can, I suppose. I mean if some guy walking down the street tripped and fell and dropped his wallet and money fell out, do I really think I could justify my grabbing whatever I could by saying "man you littered with your money - I cleaned it up for you but I'm keeping it as my service fee".

There is a slightly deeper point to all this though: our quest to constantly justify ourselves because we have to be considered "right" and "just" and "acceptable" in what we do by other people. The truth is, however, that we are not right ("There is none who is righteous, not even one") and nothing we do is acceptable before God who is the only one that matters. That brings us face to face with a desperate need for righteousness before God that is only accomplished in Jesus Christ and is only ours as a gift from him and by faith. Maybe you've heard this many times, but is sure helps to be reminded of it.

2 Comments:

At 1/23/2007 2:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah,
that happened to me up in Alaska during the Valdez oil spill. I was trying to hoard all the oil for myself and rubbing it all over my chest...
Just beach culture man.

Anyways, seriously - very good point and insight. I hate it when I realize that I am trying to justify some sin, or lack of doing what God would have me to do. So silly to try and point out that you are doing something 'good' though instead of obeying. God desires obedience not the most 'good' you think you can do.
Reminds me of judgment day when people are going to be saying look at what I did in your name...but thats not what HE wanted from you.

 
At 1/23/2007 2:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yeah,
I didn't get that email...where did you send it?
steve

 

Post a Comment

<< Home