9.11.2005

Softball and Babies

are two things that can easily be confused with one another and with such dire consequences as to land the possessor of said confusion in a little place we like to call "the slammer" (and no we're not referring in any manner to a grand slam).

Anyway, Rhoda and I have joined a coed softball team of people from the church and I have rekindled such fond memories of when I used to play baseball (and sucked royally mind you) that I can hardly wait for practice next friday. This past Friday I discovered that though my accuracy in throwing has deteriorated, I have not yet bottomed at the point of looking like C3PO trying to hurl a bowling ball and having it land on his foot. I also found that my eye hand coordination has improved and I was able to connect on almost every pitch during batting practice; however, any hope of having a powerful shot over the fence was quickly dashed by noticing that the best shot I had, though it felt good zinging off the end of my bat, would have been a nice little two hop single dropping in front of the left fielder. That's ok though because I'm sure if I start now getting on the juice that by playoffs I might be able to get it back in the corners for a double or triple. I don't think they check too well in recreational softball so I think I'll get away with it - I'm not so sure about my job though.

In other news, come to find out a few days ago that Steve-o (college roommate, great friend, and perhaps the most unique sense of humor I've ever known) is going to be having a baby(well maybe it's more his wife who will have it but he participated in there somewhere). There was an unofficial bet going on amongst the old college buds on who would be the next to supply the world with a new chinese super buffet eater and my vote was on Steve (though i think most of the others were on me). As I told him on our "guys only" message board, I'll say again in case he actually comes on here - Congrats Steve - you'll make a great dad. I told him other things too but he turned me down for being an honorary eccentric uncle so we'll leave those things for "the guys".

It's weird when all your friends (including you) are getting married and some start having kids and you find yourself thinking about bills, mortgages, careers, 401k's and you completely lose sight of the days where if you had 6 hours worth of class in one day you thought you were going to die of being overworked. Of course these things also tend to make you lose sight of the fact that we exist for a purpose far greater than any of those and that in fact all of those things have a tendency to become idols. And there are times that it makes me just want to run hard in the opposite direction but the truth is that direction would find something else to substitute and still be wrong. The only way to run is to run to the Creator and Author of all things whose goodness is infinite and who is so valuable that all of life exists to bring glory to his name - Glory to God in the highest.

2 Comments:

At 9/13/2005 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Throwing off everything that hinders--run (not around the bases) but to the "Creator and Author of all things". Amen, JC!

By the way, it was I (the wife) who looked like C3PO.

 
At 9/28/2005 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks JC...I can't wait to see you as a juiced up community baseball playing dad someday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home